Coconut Marinated Thai Chicken Skewers with Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce
Juicy, charred chicken thighs marinated in spiced coconut milk and served with a sweet and sour dipping sauce made of shallots and chilies.
Servings 10 skewers
For the Coconut Marinade
- 2 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into 1 1/2" pieces
- 1 tbsp coriander seed
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 3 tbsp peanuts unsalted
- ½ cup coconut milk unsweetened
- 6 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp Thai whiskey or bourbon
- 1 piece fresh turmeric (or 1 tbsp ground) peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 piece galangal (or ginger) peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass tough outer leavers removed, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup shallots
Sweet & Sour Dipping Sauce
- 4 long red chilies (Thai, jalapeno, fresno, serrano) deseeded
- 1/2 cup shallots chopped
- 1 cup white vinegar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
For the Skewers
- 1 lb shiitaki mushrooms washed and stems removed
- 2 medium red onions cut into 1 1/2" (4 cm) pieces
- 2 small zucchini cut into 1/4" coins
- 4 whole limes quartered
- vegetable oil for grilling
Make the marinade
In a large bowl, add the chicken.
Toast the coriander and cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a blender or small food processor, add the remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth. Pour pour the marinade over the chicken and massage into the chicken using your hands. Cover and refrigerate, allowing the chicken to marinate for 3 to 5 hours.
Make the skewers
Toss the vegetables with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper. Skewer the chicken and vegetables. Add a wedge or two of lime to each skewer. Discard any extra marinade.
Build a hot charcoal fire and pre-heat the grill to about 400°F. Grill the skewers, turning, until lightly charred, about 6 to 8 minutes.
Serve the skewers with the dipping sauce.
Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 112mg | Sodium: 693mg | Potassium: 712mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 280IU | Vitamin C: 32.3mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 2.5mg